BreakThrough Test Prep™ prides itself on NOT offering one-size-fits-all one-on-one test preparation. Each student has a different set of challenges and strengths – that’s why an important piece of our assessment is not only the ACT vs SAT quiz, but determining what type of learner your teen is. Below are brief descriptions the 6 major categories of learners, which one is your teen?
- ACCELERATED LEARNER: The Accelerated learner is typically a ‘reader’. This student is usually enrolled in AP Language as well as additional AP courses. Typically such students merely need validation and tweaking of the skill sets they have taken for granted but are nevertheless invaluable on standardized tests.
- HANDS ON LEARNER: The Hands-on learner needs foundation skills. These students require some basic skill building particularly in their critical reading and problem solving areas. They also require a slower pace of instruction as well as more hands on instruction.
- OVERACHIEVER LEARNER: The Overachiever learner is usually a strong rote learner and gets good grades but is a weak test taker. Such students tend to be intimidated by standardized tests and often experience a dichotomy between grades and test scores. Our job is to close the gap by teaching the requisite skills to give the students the confidence they need to get scores more reflective of their skill level. We also address the typically concomitant test anxiety through stress reducing techniques.
- SOUND LEARNER: The Sound learner is the student who does well in school, studies hard but not excessively. Such a student is serious and motivated and gets solid grades. These students are aware that test prep would make a major difference in their college selection options.
- UNMOTIVATED LEARNER: The Unmotivated learner really does want to do well but feels uninterested and/or unchallenged by the whole process and the ‘hype’. Such students will quickly find out that there is a step-by-step method for them to experience success. Ultimately, they will feel proud of themselves as they learn to successfully apply the BreakThrough Test Prep™ strategies and transform their mindset into achieving higher test scores.
- MAVERICK LEARNER: The Maverick learner is the student who often overlaps into 2 or more of the above categories. This student is more of the ‘my way’ learner who prefers to define and find his own path. When such a student is in the ‘right’ learning environment, where he feels his instructor respects and honors the ‘maverick’ about him, he will excel.
If are not able to identify your student among the above options, Harriet will be able to assess your teen’s optimum learning style in the BreakThrough Test Prep™ Strategy Session.
Now that you have identified the type of learner your student is as well as had him/her complete the ACT vs SAT Assessment . . . you are ready to schedule your BreakThrough Test Prep™ Strategy Session to find out the recommended number of hours, the best timing for taking the exam(s), as well as tuition options and discounts. (Once the Strategy Session is scheduled, I will forward a Student Profile Questionnaire.)
I look forward to our connecting. Click here to schedule.